🌞


Note that this blog post has been archived. Information may be out of date or incorrect.

Blosxom and UTF8

A few days ago I installed Blosxom to store my university notes which I write in Markdown and in German language, and which are UTF8 encoded. But I couldn’t get Blosxom to not screw up the encoding even if I set the correct Content-Type Header in HTML. It turned out that you need to modify the line which says something like

$header = {-type=>$content_type}; # Around line 280

to this

$header = {-type=>$content_type, -charset=>'utf8-'};

This tells the Perl CGI module to send the correct HTTP encoding headers for your document. You should also add

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">

to your HTML Head section (which you can find around line 430 if you are using the default template.

And voila, the multibyte characters aren’t screwed up anymore :)

Note: This fix does not work for static file generation in Blosxom, only for dynamic mode.